Mould. Even if you live in a very dry climate mould can become a problem in your home. Damp bathrooms and basements are particularly susceptible but in actual fact mould can grow anywhere where there is excess moisture in the air.

In the case of most types of mould it is simply ugly, smelly and to a certain extent destructive. However if black mould takes a hold in your home you have far more of a problem on your hands and certainly a situation that should never be ignored.

What is Black Mould?

The biggest problem with black mould id not how unsightly it is (although that is certainly the case) but how harmful it can be to your health and the health of everyone else living in your home, especially any babies and toddlers. Unfortunately black mould has been known to cause:

  • difficulty breathing
  • Sneezing and sniffles
  • Nausea
  • Dizziness
  • Lowered immune system
  • Respiratory problems
  • Coma
  • Death

In terms of damage to your home itself it will rot wood very quickly, making floors unsafe, eat away at your insulation and in some case begin eating into the structure of the walls as well.

To look at black mould is very dark and it is wet and slimy looking. When touched the spores will dissipate into the air very quickly, which is why trying to remove black mould yourself is so dangerous.

Even for the guys who do it for a living black mould removal can be a tricky thing. But getting rid of it once is not enough. If the excess moisture problem is not addressed then the mould will simply come right back. A mould removal specialist will be able to help you determine just what is causing the problem – a leaking pipe, a badly ventilated room, even just the weather outside – and come up with a solution to solve the problem in order to keep the black mould at bay for good.